Saturday, February 13, 2010

Another great week!


So I have had a great week here in the Badia.

It started off incredibly cold and windy so pre-school was canceled and as such I didn't have any classes to teach but as it warmed up the next few days I had the chance to hang out and teach the 5 year old kids English. The kids are all adorable and I love playing around teaching them different words and playing games. This week we learned about colors, big and small things, and body parts. I taught them the head shoulders knees and toes song and the other teachers thought I was crazy for singing along with the kids but they all had a blast. On Thursdays and Saturdays I work with the high school kids on their English and they are fun to hang out with as well. Really the big need here is help with the English language as that is the real key to education. Unfortunately my Arabic is probably suffering as everyone wants to speak English with me and get practice with a native speaker but if it means I get to help people here then that's ok. I have met an English teacher here named Shlash and have asked him to work with me a few times a week on my Arabic so I think that will help out and get me proficient faster.

A little about Shlash, he is quite the character as he is very straightforward and is quick to speak his mind. I like this as it gives me a unique perspective and a good understanding of how things really are here. We have talked a lot and I think we have learned a lot from each other. Even better than just talking he took me to his family's farm the other day and showed me how to drive a massive Caterpillar front loader, ride a camel, herd and count sheep, and all sorts of other fun stuff. He showed me the bayt shaher or the tent next to his father's house that's used in Bedouin ceremonies like weddings etc. Shlash is getting married in 20 days so he is letting me come to the wedding and I'm really excited about seeing all of that.

I'm starting to make actual friends here and get comfortable in my environment. When you're brand new in places everyone is nice just because you're new but after a while you sift through and find some really neat people that you'd probably be friends with regardless of that fact that you're a visitor in their country. I've enjoyed getting to know Abu Alaa, his sons Alaa and Noor, the English teacher Shlash, Riyad over at the Ministry of Education. These people are beginning to be really good friends and have taught me so much about life and so if for no other reason I'm glad I was able to come out here to meet some pretty fantastic people like that.

I'm still talking to people about different opportunities for economic development and helping people put together proposals for various grants and development initiatives. Being a fluent English speaker is apparently quite advantageous here and has provided me with some unique opportunities. I have been approached by an individual who imports energy efficient light bulbs and I've been impressed to see the margins in light bulbs and other green technology like hybrid cars (the government does not tax these types of imports). Maybe there is a future for me in importing... we shall see. Opportunities seem to be coming out of the woodwork here so I'm interested in seeing what pans out here over the next few months but in the meantime my main focus is seeing what I can do to help the society I'm working with. The North Badia Development Cooperation Society is doing a lot of good out here educating the people, providing them the means to work and support themselves, and helping them build homes. I'm hoping to get some more support in the form of fluent English speaking volunteers to come out here and spend some time helping out so if anyone who is reading this wants to come out or knows of anyone who wants to come spend some time and have one of the most amazing experiences ever please do let me know.

The weather is warm, I've finally mastered the no toilet thing, I'm losing a ton of weight due to the lack of fast food here, I'm having fun with the kids, I'm making good friends, and I'm learning a TON about all sorts of things. Life is good in the Badia.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I think I'd take me quite awhile to get used to the no toliet thing! But it sounds like a great diet plan, Looks like you're loving it

    ReplyDelete