Monday, February 15, 2010

Redneck is Universal!

So I'll paint you a picture...

So my I'm hanging out with some friends talking about life and women, enjoying the sunshine and the outdoors. We talk about going camping and how much we love fishing. We complain about how city life is too crowded and a man needs space to really breathe and grow. We talk about how annoying it is when someone from the city thinks they are better than you. One friend suggests we go shooting as he's got some old televisions that would be fun to shoot at. We mess around with some horses and then get the idea of going and driving some tractors. We all have a blast moving some gravel with a big Caterpillar front loader. It's getting late so we stop by my to say hi to my friend's parent's and they insist we stay for dinner. We try to refuse but try telling some good country folk that you don't want to eat... not happening! So we eat and then head home as we all have to be up at the crack of dawn to do chores and help out around the family farm. I offer to make some dinner the next night so we all get together and whip up some good ol' country spaghetti and of course everyone douses it with hot sauce like any good redneck would. We talk about the price of feed and how gas prices are killing agriculture. One of my friends talks about being in the Army and how that is probably the best way to get educated when you're from the country. We hang out and listen to some Skynard and talk about how our parents are ragging us to get married. We all think family is important but we want to have some time to ourselves first (at least that's what we say till we find some girl who we can't pass up I'm sure). We talk about how love of God, family, and country and are comfortable with our simple lifestyle without the flash of big city living. We watch a few movies and listen to some Willie Nelson and call it a night.

Sounds like another great weekend in Texas right?

The real catch is it's in Jordan way out in the Badia.

I'm convinced that the Bedouin here would get along famously with American Rednecks if they were able to get to know one another. I laugh as everyone talks to me and says that I'm not like the other American volunteers they see. They say I'm actually friendly, down to earth, and approachable unlike the peace corps volunteers they meet. I say they need to meet more Texans as that's just southern hospitality. Granted there are a couple hangups that Rednecks might have out here and being accepting of differences isn't a real Redneck strength, but I really think that being a good 'ol boy is universal and we're all more similar than different.
I have spent some time explaining the meaning of the term Redneck and how it's used as an insult in the cities but a source of pride in the country and they say that's exactly how the term Bedouin is used here. In the cities it means simple minded and uneducated, but to them it means strong families and a love of God and country.

Too bad Rednecks don't like Bedouin and Bedouin don't like Rednecks... or maybe it's good because as long as they hate each other then they can't take over the world.

Maybe I'm way off on this one but hey... I thought it was pretty funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment